One family's journey to hear God's calling, overcome our fears, and be obedient to Him!

Friday, January 21, 2011

What Heaven Feels Like

Before I begin let me say this post is not guided towards anyone. So please don’t be offended by anything I write. This post is a rambling of thoughts that have been running randomly through my mind for some time now. These thoughts and words apply to me and my struggle to be obedient. If this stirs something up inside of you too, then I pray that’s a good thing!

I saw Jesus in Haiti
Many people I know that have been to Haiti, say the first time they went, they went to share Jesus. But upon going they surprisingly discovered that Jesus was already there. I know this was the case for me. You see pictures, news reports, and hear that Haiti is the poorest and filthiest place on the planet. So you think, they have to need Jesus and I am going to share Him. Then you get there and see that it is indeed the poorest and filthiest place you have ever seen. But, you soon discover that Jesus is already there. For me at least, it was one of those “wow” moments.

What’s Jesus doing in Haiti?
My family lives in a humble 2,300 square foot home. We don’t owe anyone on this planet a single penny, except for a small mortgage. We have not bought a “new” car since 1997. We don’t take extravagant vacations. We don’t buy expensive furniture or clothes. My wife shops at thrift stores. We don’t buy anything that we can’t pay for with cash. In American terms, we are very frugal and live a humble life style. Yet, during my first trip to Haiti, while walking in the mountain village of Beloc, I became overwhelmingly embarrassed for the lavish and wasteful manner in which I live.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Let me ask anyone bored enough to be reading my blog some simple questions. If Jesus walked this earth today do you think He would spend His time where you spend yours? Do you think He would visit your church? Do you think He would come to your house? Do you think He would ride in your car, live in your neighborhood, spend your money the way you spend it? I could go on and on with this line of questioning, but I think you get my point. For me, the resounding answer to all of these questions is “NO”.

One night over this past Thanksgiving holiday, my brother-in-law Bill and I were having a classic late night discussion. Bill always challenges my thought process. This particular night we were talking about Haiti and Jesus. Anyway, Bill made a comment that has really stuck with me. He said, “If Jesus walked into my house today, He would take a quick look around and say ‘I don’t need to be here’ and walk right back out the door”. How simple, profound, and true is that!!!

In retrospect, of course Jesus is in Haiti.

Worshiping Jesus in Haiti
Every time I go to Haiti, I am amazed by how Christians in Haiti can be so strikingly happy. How can that be? They have nothing. They have no material possessions. Most wake up each morning, journey out of their tent or one room dirt floor shack, and try to figure out a way to obtain food and water for their family for that day. The next day they do it again. All they can possibly have that makes them so joyous is the love of Jesus. Their love for Jesus is so much more transparent than in any one person I have ever witnessed in America. They worship and praise God with intense passion. Honestly, it makes you question your own relationship with God.

Photobucket

Serving Jesus in Haiti
Haiti is such an addictive place. I literally feel drawn to Haiti. And it’s not just for the obvious fact that I have two God given daughters there that I desperately want to be with. It’s more than that.

A friend of mine made a simple comment that stirred my thoughts, “it’s so easy to spread the love in Haiti”. This is so true, but why?

In America we are concerned with serving ourselves. We long for material things. All of our material objects are really just "distractions". They are distractions from what really matters in life, distractions from our relationship with God, distractions from being obedient to Him. Because we have so much more than we need we are constantly distracted from serving God and others.

There are very few, if any, distractions in Haiti. I think that’s why “it’s so easy to spread the love” of Jesus there. I long for that feeling I have when I am in Haiti. It’s a feeling of constantly wanting to serve and worship God 24/7. That must be what Heaven feels like.

Most of all, love each other as if your life depends on it. Love makes up for anything. Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, cheerfully give a bed to the homeless. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around: if words, let it be God's words; if help, let it be God's hearty help. That way, God's bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and He will get all the Praise! 1 Peter 4:11 (The Message)

4 comments:

  1. You are so right Preston! The reason it's easier to experience God in a place like Haiti is because all the junk is stripped away. It shouldn't be that way. It's definitely a good incentive to live a simpler life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love the picture of the women worshipping. I am going on a mission trip to Haiti in June and am starting a blog. I wondered if I might be able to get permission to use this photo. Are you the owner of it or can you point me in the right direction to ask permission? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, it is a wonderful picture indeed :) You will need to ask Shannon Kelley. You can contact her through her website Shannon Kelley Photography. I have a link to her website on my blog on the bottom right under "Links". I hope you will also click on the "Follow" tab and follow my blog. Please let me know when you start your blog so I can follow you too! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete