One family's journey to hear God's calling, overcome our fears, and be obedient to Him!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tidbits about the Girls

It is amazing how the girl’s personalities continue to open up more and more with each visit to Haiti. I realize there is a certain amount of trust to be earned and that comes through seeing that we will return to them and knowing that one day they will come home with us. It is also interesting how the attachment process differs for each of them.

Photobucket

On our trip last October, Jesula's emotions were up and down during the visit. She was really excited to see us when we arrived. One day she was wide open excited and the next she was a little distant and would go play with the rest of the girls. She didn't really attempt communicating much in English. When we had to leave she was sad, but she did not shed tears, at least that we saw. When we were walking out to leave she turned and walked inside the orphanage out of sight. I should mention that Haitians seemed to be much less emotional than us Americans. Anyway, during our visit two weeks ago she was consistently in tune with us. She ran to me when we arrived and didn't want to let go. She left our sides much less than the previous visit. She tried hard to understand our English and attempted to respond in English if possible. She absoulutely fell in love with Ashley and Matt and really clinged to them all week. The night before and the morning we were leaving, Jesula cried crocodile tears. Jesula was really, really sad!

Photobucket

This was our first trip to visit Redjina since we asked her to become part of our family. On the previous visits we only had limit interaction and small glimpses of her inner beauty. Her attachment with us has happened much quicker than with Jesula. I think that has a lot to do with her personality, but also because she is two years older and more mature than Jesula. Redjina was my daughter and I was her Popi from the first moment I arrived. Being the special girl that she is, she let Jesula greet us first when we arrived. She is such a caregiver. She looked after Jesula constantly. She made the beds in the morning and swept our room. During our trip she almost never left my side. She was constantly trying to learn English and teach me Creole. Two days before we were to leave she showed signs of being sad. When I asked her what was wrong, at first she said "nothing". But with some prying, she said: "today Wednesday, tomorrow Thursday, and you know what happens Friday". Friday we were to leave. We had some great conversation that day about trust, the long adoption process, and faith that one day she would come home with us. She broke free from the sadness and those last two days were wonderful. But just like Jesula, the night before we left and the morning we were leaving, she cried very hard. And when we did leave, Redjina and Jesula stood on the porch with their arms around each other and waved good bye!

Photobucket


Since returning from our last trip I have really increased the number of phone calls to the girls. In order to talk to Jesula, we have to call the Orphanage Director, Magdala. She speaks very limited English and there is no one to interpret. I can speak just enough Creole at this point to properly greet Magdala and ask to speak to Jesula. Then Jesula and I can have a somewhat limited conversation. But that said, when we call Jesula (two to three times a week) she is so excited and loud. She constantly is saying things like "Popi", "Momi", "Matt", Ashwee" (Ashley), "I love you", "I miss you". Beyond sweet!! Redjina on the other hand has a cell phone. We text each other throughout each day. The constant communication is wonderful, but also makes me miss her even more. She sends me texts in Creole and I text her in English. We both have books and it is helping us both learn a new language. I get the sweetest text messages from her. One of us calls the other at least once a day. She is very soft spoken and loving. She always asks to speak to "Momi", "my brother Matt", and "my sister Ashley". She wants to know what I am doing. It seems like she is always "studying English and French".

Photobucket


Leaving them there is no doubt the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But I know this whole thing is in God's hands and is on His time table. So in the meantime I work on improving my total lack of patience!

God gives us a sense of what He is doing. He makes everything beautiful happen at the right time. Yet we can never completely understand what He is doing from the beginning to the end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment